[CentOS] Install Centos 6 x86_64 on Dell PowerEdge 2970 and aSSD (hardware probing issues)

John R Pierce

pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Sep 6 23:14:33 UTC 2014

On 9/6/2014 4:02 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> That doesn't mean that you have to flash firmware onto LSI controller
> every so often after you placed controller into production because
> original version of firmware is crap, and updated version will turn out to
> be crap several Months after its release, and so on. You did have nice
> thing before you flashed, which alas was different hardware from what you
> needed. You flashed different version to modify hardware. And after that
> the hardware was exactly what you needed it to be. And from this point on
> you don't need to flash it, unless you decide to change its functions to
> what they were with original firmware.

for some unfathomable reason, IT (initiator-terminator) internal SAS
cards are nearly unobtanium.   The external ones cost stupid money, at
least as expensive as high end SAS raid cards, and I really don't
understand it.

ok, I do understand it...   MS Windows prefers using hardware raid since
the built in storage management is dreadful.