[CentOS] Install Centos 6 x86_64 on Dell PowerEdge 2970 and aSSD (hardware probing issues)

Mark Tinberg

mtinberg at wisc.edu
Mon Sep 8 14:15:49 UTC 2014

On Sep 6, 2014, at 2:27 PM, Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 09:46:36AM -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> But that is exactly what I said: if the hardware was released and sold
>> with this piece of crap BIOS, then you shouldn't be buying that junk in
>> the first place. Or at least stop buying the crap made by _this_
>> manufacturer in a future. I'm still not convinced. Any better reasons?
>
> In my experience, all code has bugs.  Instead of trying to find some
> vendor that has magically released hardware with bug-free firmware, I
> choose vendors that make it relatively painless to apply the firmware
> updates under Linux.

A lack of updates can also mean that there is a lack of effort or competence is tracking down and fixing bugs, or not a large enough customer base with the same bugs to generate sufficient, actionable, bug reports, it is not necessarily or even primarily a signal of quality.

There is little churn in firmware updates, changes for changes sake, pretty much every published update fixes some real corner case that someone ran into, and I’d rather fix it on my system before running into it in production, there are fewer stupider feelings than having something go sideways due a bug that someone already fixed for you.

—
Mark Tinberg
mtinberg at wisc.edu