[CentOS] Minimum RAM for CentOS7

Valeri Galtsev

galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 8 16:36:13 UTC 2014

On Mon, September 8, 2014 9:44 am, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 3:38 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby
> <mihamina.rakotomandimby at rktmb.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you have 1.000 or 10.000 machines it*is*  a reason to
>>> think about every fucking dollar per machine you can save each month.
>>
>> You could *just* *install* with 1GB and then get down to 512 at runtime.
>>

> First, if you are running 10,000 machines with 512K RAM, you are doing
> something really, really weird or you just like managing a lot of
> machines that can't do very much each - and supplying a lot more power
> than you would need for fewer, more capable hosts.
>
> But, if you have even more than a few, you are probably already doing
> some sort of image installs.  So just install on a machine or VM with
> 1GB, then use ReaR or Clonezilla to back it up and restore onto the
> target boxes.   Or for brute force, use dd to copy the drive and swap
> them into place.

... which will be a lot of drive swapping for 1000 or 10000 machines. With
this number of machines the only workable option I can think of is netboot
+ kickstart (with hard drive then network boot order in BIOS so no need to
change anything after system is installed)... But it is true what was
mentioned 1000+ weak machines are unlikely to be able to pay their
electric bills.

> --
>    Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell at gmail.com