[CentOS] Canon PIXMA mg5420 or HP Photo Smart 7520

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Tue Sep 9 15:23:42 UTC 2014

Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Mon, September 8, 2014 11:12 pm, dE wrote:
>> On 09/09/14 04:36, ken wrote:
>>> In need of a new printer, having done a bit or research, and
>>> considering either the Canon PIXMA mg5420  or the HP Photo Smart 7520.
<snip>>>
>>> I've also read horror stories about the how often new ink cartridges
>>> are required, that basically you pay for the printer a second and
>>> third time buying cartridges (not to mention how often a print job is
>>> interrupted by a trip to buy new cartridges).  Any first-hand reports
>>> on that?
<snip>
Buy a refill kit, if you get an inkjet. I, personally, had *really* bad
experience with HP inkjets*, and don't plan to ever buy one again.
Laserjets, on the other hand, are wonderful. Around '07 or '08, I bought
an LJ 1018 (almost immediately replaced in HP's offerings by the 1022,
which is annoying), but my 1018's just fine, thank you, though there is an
annoyance that it's a "winprinter", and has to have some data sent to it
every time you power it on.

If you're going to buy ink/toner, here's an unbiased recommendation:
tonerprice.com. They have among the best prices that I found on the Web,
and the service when I got quotes for work, but for a small order and a
rather large one, was such that when my 1018 needed a new toner cartridge,
I ordered (a compatible) from them... and got exactly the same competent
level of service. I like them.

Note - esp for HP, buy compatibles. As an example, an OEM for my 1018 is
about $80... while the compatible toner ->w/ shipping<- was about $32 or
so.

          mark

* Ok, HP Designjets seem to be ok, but those are professional inkjets...
like the, ahem, z3200ps we have, that takes a 100', 42" wide roll, and has
*12* cartridges....