[CentOS] Upgrade from CentOS 6.x to 7

Pete Geenhuizen

pete at geenhuizen.net
Wed Sep 10 18:24:35 UTC 2014

I just ran the pre-upgrade, and it said that I couldn't do an in place
upgrade for the following reason:

"/usr directory is on separate partition. In-place Upgrade is NOT possible."

Well that was news to me because I never separate /usr, so what is going
on?  It apparently turns out that /usr/local is on a separate partition
and the software isn't smart enough to realize that there's a big
difference between /usr and /usr/local, so I'm guessing that that is the
reason.

I sure do hate software that makes lame or at worst incorrect
assumptions, almost as bad as when you change a config file and comment
out the default line and add you duplicate the line with changes, and
the software is too dumb to realize what you did.

--
Unencumbered by the thought process.
  -- Click and Clack the Tappet brothers