[CentOS] xelatex does not work on centos 7

Timothy Murphy

gayleard at alice.it
Wed Sep 10 21:34:17 UTC 2014

Gergely Buday wrote:

> I tried to compile some trivial LaTeX file with the shipped XeLaTeX:
>
> $ xelatex trivial.tex
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-0.9999.3 (TeX Live 2013)
>  restricted \write18 enabled.
>
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt xelatex.fmt
> /usr/bin/mktexfmt: line 395:
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf/texconfig/tcfmgr: No such file or directory
> fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
> I can't find the format file `xelatex.fmt'!
> $ rpm -q texlive-xetex
> texlive-xetex-svn26330.0.9997.5-32.el7.noarch
> $ cat trivial.tex
> \documentclass{article}
>
> \title{Hello World!}
>
> \begin{document}
> \maketitle
> \end{document}
>
> This seems to be broken. How can I fix it?

I'm not running LaTeX under CentOS-7,
but under Fedora-20 your file compiled OK after "xelatex trivial".
Actually, xelatex is just a link to xetex, and there is no xelatex.fmt .
(xelatex is available after yum-installing texlive-xetex .)
In my case tcfmgr lies in /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/texconfig/
rather than /usr/share/texlive/texmf/texconfig/,
and fmtutil.cnf is in /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/web2c/.

Probably irrelevant to your problem.
(You'd probably get a better response on the comp.text.tex newsgroup.)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net