[CentOS] Weird output of system load

Kai Schaetzl

maillists at conactive.com
Fri Sep 12 10:17:35 UTC 2014

Mingfei Hua wrote on Thu, 11 Sep 2014 15:05:33 +0000:

> This issue happened again, who can help on this? system load up to
> 72, but /proc/stat only show that 2 processes were running and no
> process blocked

As others have already said, you are not giving and you are not looking at
relevant information. You want to look in top at the running processes,
for instance. It doesn't matter at all that you have "only 2" processes
running. As it seems you don't even know which were running. Find out!

Btw, quoting old and new information adds confusion.

The number of sleeping *2534* processes seems a bit high for me. What the
hell have you running there in the background on a "tiny" 4 GB machine
with "only" two CPUs/cores? You can either have a few (or just one)
processes needing a lot of ressources or many processes waking up, each
one just needing a little bit, but in total they count ...

Kai