[CentOS] ZFS

Andrew Holway

andrew.holway at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 07:37:25 UTC 2014

> > Maybe you can tune ZFS further, but I tried it in userspace (with FUSE)
> > and reading was a almost 5 times slower than MDADM.

ZFS on Linux is backed by the US government as ZFS will be used as the
primary filesystem to back the parallel distributed filesystem 'Lustre'.
Lustre is used in the majority of the worlds supercomputers as the primary
filesystem (When you gotta have 2TB/s of IO over 100PB then Lustre is
pretty much the only viable opensource option)

To set expectation. Actually, the most recent release (0.63) of ZFS on
Linux is not that quick. In certain circumstances is actually quite bad.
This is almost by design as the developers of ZFS have been focussing on
stability and have pretty much ignored enhancing performance. This will
change in the near future.