[CentOS] repoquery -f does not work well.

Valeri Galtsev

galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 16 14:01:53 UTC 2014

On Tue, September 16, 2014 8:49 am, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 10:16:37AM +0530, dE wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I've found inconstancy between output of repoquery and rpm. I was
>> looking forward towards apache php 5.4 module which must provided by
>> some package SCL (can someone tell me?).
>>
>> rpm -qf /etc/httpd/modules/mod_proxy.so
>> httpd-2.2.15-29.el6.centos.x86_64
>> repoquery -qf /etc/httpd/modules/mod_proxy.so
>>
>> so repoquery results in no output
>>
>> yum list installed httpd
>> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
>>  * c6-media:
>> Installed Packages
>> httpd.x86_64 2.2.15-29.el6.centos @c6-media
>>
>> repoquery -qa httpd
>> httpd-0:2.2.15-29.el6.centos.x86_64
>>
>> No wonder libphp5.so results in no output.
>
> The 'httpd' package actually contains the mod_proxy.so as
> /usr/lib64/httpd/modules/mod_proxy.so.  Running
> 'repoquery -f /usr/lib64/httpd/modules/mod_proxy.so' will generate the
> correct response.
>
> RPM, on the other hand, has the benefit of having a local filesystem
> with the actual files installed.
>
> One of the first things that the 'rpm' command does is stat() the path
> /etc/httpd/modules, discover it's a symlink, and then run the actual
> path /usr/lib64/httpd/modules/mod_proxy.so through the RPM database.
> The command is going to pass the 'real' location (as best it can find)
> for any query with file paths.  'repoquery' doesn't have the benefit
> of having the package installed, so it can't perform this local
> lookup.  It has to rely only on what the package manifest lists.

That's an interesting thing. Ideally I would prefer the query command do
exactly what I asked, if I asked about existence of some path, I would
like to check that path and tell me which package brought it to my box. In
an idiotic situation when symlink came with one package and actual file
symlink points to from another, when I query symlink, I'd like to get an
answer about it. Am I missing something?

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago