[CentOS] ZFS

Valeri Galtsev

galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 16 17:28:54 UTC 2014

On Tue, September 16, 2014 12:03 pm, Warren Young wrote:
> On 9/15/2014 16:54, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Sep 2014, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>>
>>   1. a throw-away line meant as a joke,
>
> I didn't take it as a joke so much as a comment that where he works,
> high-end hardware is available for the asking.  SLC is the most
> expensive sort of SSD; if it's so readily available that he can joke
> about using them for paving tiles, he's pooh-poohing my observation that
> adding an SSD to a ZFS pool to accelerate it isn't free.  Where he
> works, it effectively *is* free.
>
> Where *I* work, a freed-up second-hand 40 GB first-generation SSD is a
> welcome boon.
>
>> Who gets to say that USB is
>> an acceptable acronym while SLC is not? If you know, how does one become
>> that person?
>
> Prescriptivist lexicographers are popinjays that try to tell you what
> the legal words are.
>
> The descriptivists are the real lexicographers, because they merely try
> to figure out which words are actually being used in a widespread
> fashion and try to document the meaning(s) of those words.  They
> understand how language actually works.
>
> SLC is perfectly cromulent to a descriptivist.  It's in wide use in a
> large community, and a large fraction of that community agrees on its
> meaning.

I would comment here even though you answered someone's else argument -
put much better than I can do. (after all I'm not linguist in any
language, not even in my native one ;-)

My take on it is it is your decision to be understood by me or not. If I'm
anxious to decipher what is not obvious I will look it up. I often do
(lying of course: I do it only occasionally). And I can easily find out
that SLC stands for Salt Lake City (and quite a few other things). But, of
course, if I didn't spare enough effort I may not deserve to understand
discussions above some technical (or abbreviational ;-) level.

As they will say in volleyball: the ball is on other side.

Valeri

> Keep in mind that there are only about 17,000 three-letter acronyms.
> Most will have conflicts.
>
> Yes, most.  XQZ is yet unused according to http://www.acronymfinder.com/

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator