[CentOS] documentation for kernel

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Thu Sep 18 15:37:47 UTC 2014

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>>> you can't .. other than to look at the centos-announce mailing
>>> list

Not exactly correct. You can install yum-plugin-security. From rpm -qi:
Description :
This plugin adds the options --security, --cve, --bz and --advisory flags
to yum and the list-security and info-security commands.
The options make it possible to limit list/upgrade of packages to specific
security relevant ones. The commands give you the security information.
<snip>
> We would certainly be glad to have some community members create and
> maintain packages for this, as well as maintaining spacewalk security
> information as well.

Well, I implemented spacewalk in '09, at a short term contract I was on. I
hope I *NEVER* have to deal with that again.... Let's see, at the time, it
*required*, and wouldn't work with *anything* other than Oracle. And to
get it working, and it was not a huge server farm at that job, I had to
tweak Oracle (the free version) to use 992M of its allowed 1G memory (the
default was significantly lower). And the tools were *not* well
documented. I think it went from 0.3.x to 0.3.x+2, or maybe 0.4; IMO,
nowhere ready for prime time.

Oh, and it used cobbler, so I guess it was a complicated gui on top of
cobbler....

        mark