[CentOS] firefox: annoyance

Valeri Galtsev

galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 25 14:50:19 UTC 2014

On Thu, September 25, 2014 9:42 am, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Steve Lindemann wrote:
> <snip>
>>> It is *completely* unacceptable to release an update that appears to
>>> ignore the configuration files, and doesn't even *show* the menu, which
>>> would absolutely freak out an "ordinary user".
>>>
>>> And to lose the tabs! I am *not* going to update firefox at work till
>>> they fix this - I have stuff I need.
>>> <snip>
>>
>> Switch to Palemoon or Qupzilla, firefox has "improved" itself to the
>> point where it's just not a choice anymore, let alone a good one.  I've
>> been using Palemoon and it's been a damn good choice for me... ymmv
>
> palemoon looks nice - *is* there a package for it somewhere, or do you
> have to d/l and install from their homepage?
>>
>> Find something else that works for you, there are other choices.  It's
>> gotten to the point where firefox is as bad as chrome or ie.  A shame,
>> it used to be such a good choice.
>
> I have to worry, here at work. I am *not* going to even think about trying
> to force my users to use another browser, one they've never heard of (I've
> never heard of either of these). This needs to be fixed....

I'm in the same fix... But. When I will find open source, acceptable
browser which I can predict will last and will have the same great
attitude late netscape or mozilla had, I will start installing it
simultaneously with firefox, yet will make it default browser, which users
can switch to firefox from if the want to, and will definitely mention why
I suggest that browser. Some users will get alone with new browser, and
after some critical mass of them, maybe a year down the road it will be
done deal. The only shortcoming in my plan is an existence of damn google
chrome. (Others already cursed at it, so I'll save my breath).

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago