[CentOS] firefox: annoyance

Steve Lindemann

steve at marmot.org
Thu Sep 25 15:07:31 UTC 2014

On 9/25/2014 8:42 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Steve Lindemann wrote:
> <snip>
>>> It is *completely* unacceptable to release an update that appears to
>>> ignore the configuration files, and doesn't even *show* the menu, which
>>> would absolutely freak out an "ordinary user".
>>>
>>> And to lose the tabs! I am *not* going to update firefox at work till
>>> they fix this - I have stuff I need.
>>> <snip>
>>
>> Switch to Palemoon or Qupzilla, firefox has "improved" itself to the
>> point where it's just not a choice anymore, let alone a good one.  I've
>> been using Palemoon and it's been a damn good choice for me... ymmv
>
> palemoon looks nice - *is* there a package for it somewhere, or do you
> have to d/l and install from their homepage?
>>
>> Find something else that works for you, there are other choices.  It's
>> gotten to the point where firefox is as bad as chrome or ie.  A shame,
>> it used to be such a good choice.
>
> I have to worry, here at work. I am *not* going to even think about trying
> to force my users to use another browser, one they've never heard of (I've
> never heard of either of these). This needs to be fixed....

yup, that would be the fly in the ointment.  It's certainly not in the
distro's I use (base,extras,updates,rpmforge,epel).  I did find qupzilla
in linux mint, but not palemoon and neither in the centos distro's that
I use.  Can't speak to other systems.

For a mass install you pretty much have to roll your own.  I've only
used it on individual systems that I work with directly and downloaded
from the website.  I can only speak to my personal use.  Hopefully it
will start showing up in the distro's, we definitely need something
other than firefox these days.
--
Steve