[CentOS] firefox: annoyance

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Sep 26 16:44:06 UTC 2014

On Thu, September 25, 2014 10:27, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 09:09:15AM -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>>
>> developers to follow this:
>>
>> Don't change anything unless it is absolutely necessary.
>>
>> (it was excellent attitude to programming I was doing once: this way you
>> diminish the chance to break something that works...)
>
> Probably POLA, Principle Of Least Astonishment.

The following article is from 2011 mind you, when FF 4 had 31% market share
instead of the 17% it has now:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/it-security/has-the-mozilla-foundation-lost-its-collective-mind/

And then the famous Kaply blog where Asa Dotzler tells all of us entreprisey
folks that use FF to get stuffed:

http://mike.kaply.com/2011/06/23/understanding-the-corporate-impact/

We are on FF-ESR for our MS_Win users as well as CentOs, but this constant
deliberate breakage by the MF folks has had me actively considering finding an
alternative for some time now.  I had sort of settled on Opera but they seem
to have stopped development on the Linux version.

I love the extensions that are available for FF but I am tired beyond care of
witnessing the pointless rearranging of the deck chairs while FF slips ever so
gently beneath the waves.

Canada  L8E 3C3