[CentOS] URGENT! Shellshock fix DOES NOT fix the bug on CentOS 5.4

Leon Fauster

leonfauster at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 28 11:32:38 UTC 2014

Am 28.09.2014 um 02:22 schrieb Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com>:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 02:12:27AM +0200, Leon Fauster wrote:
>> Am 27.09.2014 um 23:53 schrieb Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com>:
>>> If you really need to run an old minor version, you should consider
>>> paying for the upstream Enterprise Linux. They keep all the old minor
>>> versions up-to-date with regard to security fixes. CentOS does not.
>>
>> https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata#Extended_Update_Support
>
> From reading the link, it appears that you want to clarify that it's
> not "all the old minor versions", but I'm not sure that I understood
> what you meant, given that you posted a bare link with no explanation.
>
> Am I right?

Sorry for my brief input but the intention was exactly what you extracted
from the URI above and its valid only for the upstream. CentOS will stay
always on the latest release as you also stated.

 IMHO they are rare cases where some one are technically forced to stay
on older releases. I do not argue that they didn't exist. We should not
forget the context; stable ABI, API and mayor releases of the provided
components, and not like e.g. Fedora with there "bleeding edge" approach
(valid for there scenarios).

It would be great to get some feedback what such cases
are, that let people stay on older releases?

--
Thanks
LF