[CentOS] xfce on CentOS 7: can't lock screen

Jake Shipton

jakems at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 29 01:08:12 UTC 2014

On 28/09/14 03:43, Devin Reade wrote:
> Ok, trying to bypass the usual flames (I used CDE for years, then
> KDE until it got dumbed-down too much, and we all know how GNOME
> has turned out) ... I've decided to try out xfce on CentOS 7.
>
> I grabbed xfce from epel by installing the following via yum:
> epel-release @xfce
>
> So far it's pretty good, and is giving me the basic features I'm
> looking at without getting in my way.  However, I can't seem to get
> the damned screen lock function to work.
>
> Leaving the monitor idle doesn't generally do anything. (Although
> just now, after having left it for a few hours, I got a blank
> screen with a few vertical narrow white bars that wouldn't respond
> to any key or mouse movement.  Switching to a text console and back
> to the graphics console, however, brought up the xfce desktop
> again, but with no screen lock prompt.)
>
> If I select the 'Lock Screen' menu item from the top right corner
> of the screen it does nothing; doesn't lock the screen, provides no
> feedback that there's a problem, etc.
>
> The page
> <http://xmodulo.com/control-screen-lock-settings-linux-desktop.html>

describes (for XFCE) bring up "Settings Manager" => "Screen Saver", but
> there is no "Screen Saver" option in the Settings Manager.
>
> A clue stick would be appreciated.
>
> Devin

Hi,

I also use XFCE4 :-).

My solution was to install xscreensaver and configure/install that.

You can find it in nux's repo :-).

Make sure you start the daemon by running "xscreensaver" in terminal.

use the command "xscreensaver-command -prefs" to configure your options.

Once everything is running it should work!

Good luck :-)

Kind Regards,
Jake Shipton (JakeMS)
GPG Key: 0xE3C31D8F
GPG Fingerprint: 7515 CC63 19BD 06F9 400A DE8A 1D0B A5CF E3C3 1D8F