[CentOS] Apache wakes-up inactive Exim

Always Learning

centos at u62.u22.net
Mon Sep 29 01:52:45 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-09-28 at 19:27 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Applications often send mail by piping to the command 'sendmail' which
> is enough of a standard that other MTAs normally offer a compatible
> command.  With 'real' sendmail you can configure it to either deliver
> in the current process or to queue for subsequent delivery by the
> daemon. Not sure how the others handle it, but yours apparently
> completes the delivery.

Sendmail is not present on the server. Exim is the only MTA. Exim awoke,
forwarded the email then became inactive (not running) again.

I was curious how a non-running Exim can be run, solely to forward mail,
then returned to its inactive state. I assume some system software
identified the PHP outgoing email, and launched the only MTA installed
(Exim) just to handle the outgoing email.

--
Regards,

Paul.
England, EU.