[CentOS] Is it safe to go from CentOS6.5 to CentOS 7 at this time

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Mon Sep 29 15:46:55 UTC 2014

Dan Hyatt wrote:
> I am looking for opinions and personal experience on CentOS7 for both
> grid and virtualized web environments.
> I am currently on CentOS6.5 in a production environment.
>
> I am about to add about 50 more servers to my grid and am trying to
> identify the advantages and disadvantages of going to CentOS7.
> The good part is, that I have some tolerance for backing out and
> installing CentOS6.5 if 7 does not work out.
>
> I read the comments about what CentOS7 brings but want to make sure that
> I am not introducing undue risk. Not seen a lot of issues with it.
>
> I also have a small private cloud (VMWare esxi) and wanted to know if
> anyone was using  CentOS7 there.
>
> The basic question: Should I be holding off a little longer on going to
> CentOS7 in production?

On the one hand, we're starting to roll it out... *only* on new servers,
and the servers we're rolling it out on are *only* fileservers - a couple
attached to RAID boxes, and the other two will be attached to RAIDs, but
server home directories.

I feel that I'd stay with 6.x unless there's a must-have feature. Right
now, I'm playing with stuff on those servers - for one, NetworkMangler is
*extremely* noisy, and trying to find *full* examples of its configuration
file... I've only found *tiny* bits and pieces. I think I got it to log
only errors, but the startup was *noisy*, and the documentation leaves
something to be desired.

Oh, and it enables wireless. On a server. With no wifi. And I don't see
any ifcfg-'s to set them to *off*.

I really don't like this "we'll do everything" attitude, esp. when
"everything" is intended for users of laptops....

And the install, as I think I posted last week, was nasty - if I want
anything other than it's "let me partition *and* throw LVM on top", it
goes to choose disks... and selects *ALL* by default.

So there's a bunch of stuff I don't like, and will wait to see if they fix
it.

       mark
        mark