[CentOS] Layer 2 VPN with OpenSSH on CentOS7 not working!

SilverTip257

silvertip257 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 16:00:39 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 1:47 AM, Anthony K <akcentos at anroet.com> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm trying to bring an Amazon VM into the LAN by following this guide
> [0].  However, it appears that OpenSSH on either RHEL7 or CentOS7 is broken
> as it is not creating tap interface but tun interface.  I've tried this on
> both CentOS5 and CentOS6 and they both work as advertised!  Downgrading the
> OS is not an option!
>

> CentOS5/6 gives me:
> ******************
> tap1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN qlen 500
>  link/ether 9e:9e:44:9e:49:4c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>
> CentOS7 gives me:
> ****************
> tun1: <POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST,NOARP> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode
> DEFAULT qlen 500
> link/none

In your output, you have both TAP and TUN interfaces ... they are different.

Briefly skimming content at the URL you are using as your reference, I see
mention of using a TAP interface (which is no the case on your EL7 box).

> So, what's broken in 7 - or is it that it requires something different?

Unless you can prove with further testing that something is actually
broken, I expect this is nothing but a configuration error.  Per the
TUN/TAP comment of mine [0].  TUN is layer3 and TAP is layer2 of the OSI
Model.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUN/TAP

--
Mike