[CentOS] Install Centos 6 x86_64 on Dell PowerEdge 2970 and aSSD (hardware probing issues)

Sat Sep 6 14:21:47 UTC 2014
Steven Tardy <sjt5atra at gmail.com>

On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> I was always fascinated: why [some] people are dying to upgrade firmware?
> It doesn't matter whether by firmware you mean system board BIOS, or
> firmware of some card. Why taking chance having your machine hosed?

Because BIOS updates often fix corner case issues/bugs.
The BIOS release notes for this PowerEdge 2970 server:
  http://downloads.dell.com/bios/PE2970-040201BIOS.txt
includes:
  * Fixed intermittent SATA Drive B not found error.

The likelihood of a BIOS upgrade going bad if due diligence is done to
verify the BIOS upgrade is for that hardware is practically zero.