[CentOS] php-mcrypt

Sun Sep 7 23:28:39 UTC 2014

On Sun, September 7, 2014 5:44 pm, mn 320 wrote:
> Is Centos team going to publish a correct version of php-mcrypt via yum?
> Centos 6.5 and now 7 is out but no php-mcrypt. php-mcrypt is used by lots
> of applications. and the one from EPEL repository is buggy and sometimes
> makes my server crash.

Hm... You most likely need to take a look into what you have done on your
server. Enterprise distributions (CentOS in particular) are usually so
stable, they do not just "crash". The only system I remember which I was
able to crash merely by running out of memory (running code with memory
leak as a regular user: that is my favorite test ;-) was SUSE around 7.3.
They did patch kernel (or configure it?) system was shipped with so that
it was indeed that bad. However, kernel downloaded from kernel.org built
without patching with all default settings didn't crash: OOM was happily
killing offending process. As it should. I'm staying away from SUSE ever
since...

What I would do, take a look that your hardware is sane, memtest86 is one
thing to do, then switch to what is happening with the process in
question. strace if your friend. And gdb too, of course.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago