[CentOS] Install Centos 6 x86_64 on Dell PowerEdge 2970 and aSSD (hardware probing issues)

Mon Sep 8 01:55:52 UTC 2014
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

On 2014-09-07, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> I guess after that I should declare myself to be lucky. None out of more
> than a couple of dozens of 3ware cards ever did harm for me. I did once
> had one of them fried (my clumsiness most likely), which then just didn't
> come up (3ware just replaced card without a question asked). Could yours
> be _slightly_ fried?

The first card could have been slightly fried; it came back up after a
reboot, and would kernel panic again within a few days.  Since I had
what I thought was a good second card I never bothered to test the first
one thoroughly.  After the second card ate the array I bailed on the old
cards completely; had the 9650 been easy to obtain I would have, but it
was pretty much EOL by then.

The 9650 that died last month refused to be recognized on cold boot, so I
think it's totally gone.  It's old enough that it's not worth my time
trying to figure out whether it's revivable.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us