[CentOS] Install Centos 6 x86_64 on Dell PowerEdge 2970 and aSSD (hardware probing issues)

Mon Sep 8 14:27:52 UTC 2014
Mark Tinberg <mtinberg at wisc.edu>

On Sep 7, 2014, at 1:35 AM, Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

> On 2014-09-06, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>
>> ... I've mentined manufacturers in another reply: tyan, lsi, 3ware, ati...
>
> Even 3ware has had buggy firmwares.  I once had to flash a 3ware card
> years into production because it was not until then that this particular
> bug was exposed by my configuration.

This is why I would say that firmware updates are part of the preventative maintenance in the same way kernel updates are, if the bug was already fixed and if you had flashed this during a normal maintenance window you never would have had an unplanned maintenance to fix or recover from the problem.  Manufacturers don’t tend to update firmware without real bug reports from the field, why wait until you’ve had a failure due to some already-fixed corner case.

—
Mark Tinberg
mtinberg at wisc.edu