[CentOS] Install Centos 6 x86_64 on Dell PowerEdge 2970 and aSSD (hardware probing issues)

Mon Sep 8 19:55:36 UTC 2014

Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2014-09-08, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I gave on the SiperMicro quite a while ago. Not because of BIOS, but
>> because of hardware engineering flaws. Which at least manifests itself
>> with system boards for AMD CPUs. These (AMD) boards work reliably for
>> only 2-4 years, after that they die. Not all of them, but about 50% of
>> SuperMicro AMD server and mostly workstation boards (I have no
>> experience with their low end desktop boards if they exist) are dead
after 3-4
>> years
>
> Huh.  I have a bunch of SuperMicro boards with AMD CPUs, and have had
> only one die completely, and that was a DOA that I returned before
> putting into production.
>
> Are you saying dead-dead, like completely unusable, or sorta dead, where
> you get spurious and unexplained errors?

I know I've ranted before, but on Penguin's high-end compute rack mount
servers, with, I think, an H8QG m/b, running 64-cores, we've gotten some
where a heavy compute user process has crashed the system, and we even
canned a script and put that on a fresh, basic CentOS install, and sent it
back, and Penguin's replaced m/b's. Several of them. Some more than once,
honestly.

And then there's the engineering, where for two of the DIMMs, I need to
unplug the main connector from the PSU, because that's the only way to
pull the ears down far enough to remove the DIMMS.

We won't mention all the DIMMs that they've replaced (he says, meaning to
call them about one system *again*....)

          mark