[CentOS] Ifconfig ipv6:permission denied.

Tue Sep 9 04:33:50 UTC 2014
dE <de.techno at gmail.com>

On 09/07/14 21:20, Jim Perrin wrote:

> On 09/07/2014 03:24 AM, dE wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I installed CentOS 7 today, it's a minimal install, so it didn't have
>> ifconfig command. So I installed net-tools, however I can't add ipv6
>> address to it.
> The cool kids are all using 'ip' these days since ifconfig is deprecated.
>
>> # ifconfig enp0s3 add fc00::1002/124
>> SIOCSIFADDR: Permission denied.
>>
>> Yes, I'm running as root.
>
> Is the device under NetworkManager control (this is the default)?

Yeah, thanks for the heads up. net-tools got no updates since 3 years
and iproute2 looks incredibly complicated (cause it has support for
advanced routing and traffic management).

NetworkManager is not installed in the minimal centOS install.