[CentOS] OT: hardware question

Tue Sep 16 20:39:39 UTC 2014

Warren Young wrote:
> On 9/16/2014 13:29, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>>     Opinions on which slot to use?
>
> My opinion is that you should read "Hot Air Rises and Heat Sinks:
> Everything You Know About Cooling Electronics Is Wrong" by Tony
> Kordyban.  It is quite readable, for all that it is a serious EE book.

My degree's in CIS, not EE, so I never got into that. Should I assume that
you are an EE? If so, you could give me an opinion....
<snip>
> Or, you can do the experiment yourself.  You have the equipment, you
> have the environment, and you have lm_sensors.  Try it both ways, and

No, I cannot "do the experiment". I've got to get these racked and up and
running, for my users to use. They're not my toys....

> let us know what you find.  When your boss asks you why you are faffing
> about with R, tell him it's For Science!  You do research there, right?
>   Here you are, doing research, and you didn't even have to get a grant
> to do it.  There's your science in the public interest, Mr Bossman!

We are doing science in the public interest - this is a US gov't
scientific agency, and it's *not* defence-related, and they need this disk
space.

     mark