[CentOS] OT: hardware question

Tue Sep 16 21:35:34 UTC 2014

On Tue, September 16, 2014 2:29 pm, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Hi, folks,
>
>    I'm installing a RAID controller card for a large external RAID box in
> a Dell server. I've got two riser slots available. Here's the question:
> the controller card has some large chips on one side, and if I put it
> in riser 1, those chips face downwards in the box, blocking ease of
> cooling, while if I put it in riser 2, the chips will face up... but be
> right over a large chip on the m/b that's got a heat sink.

I would use riser 1. If you use riser 2, you will create more resistance
to airflow in area where already is one big heater. I assume, there are no
separators of airflow going from front to end (or from middle where the
set of fans are usually situated). My guess would be chips facing down
have much less effect on effectiveness of cooling unless your
configuration is such that airflow path along chips (i.e. underneath that
board in riser 1) is totally blocked.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator