[CentOS] Problem with WRT54GL router

Thu Sep 18 01:54:59 UTC 2014
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 07:49:32PM +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I have a curious problem with an old WRT54GL router,
> which I use as a WiFi access point on my LAN:
>
>   Internet->ADSL modem->CentOS-7 computer->WRT54GL router
>
> The router has always had a slight problem
> of losing connection every so often -
> it used to be every couple of days,
> but recently it has become much more often.
>
> My cure was always to disconnect the power from the router
> for 10 seconds or so, and then re-connect it.
>
> Recently I discovered that running the following script
> on the CentOS computer seems to solve the problem (for a while)
>
>   sudo systemctl restart dhcpd
>   sudo systemctl restart network
>   sudo systemctl restart shorewall
>
> (I suspect the first, dhcpd, is irrelevant.)
>
> Incidentally, I am able to ping laptops on the LAN
> (but not the other way round)
> even when the router is in its "bad" state.
>
> I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience,
> and can offer advice?

I have to say that though I hear other people speak of their
routers needing frequent rebooting, I've never had such a problem,
though I have to admit that I've only ever owned two routers.

The first of th em was a WRT54GL, and it ran fine. It would run
for months, and only get rebooted after a power failure, or when
changing things in its UI that required it reboot. I ran the factory
firmware for a year or two then switched over to DD-WRT, and again
never saw that kind of problem.

Just wondering if you've ever done a firmware update? sometimes
even the manufacturer will issue a bug fix firmware update, shocking
as that may seem! :)

After five or six years, it suddenly decided it didn't want to retain
any of my settings across a reboot, and it was a huge pain to reset
all the settings I had made, without notice, whenever it decided to
drop them all. So I bought an ASUS RT-N16 and put the Linksys aside
for a while.

Subsequently, someone else I knew needed a router for guest network
access, and I fired up the WRT54GL and reinstalled latest Linksys
firmware and it has been running fine ever since (couple of years,
more or less).

Wish I could offer some actual help! :)

    community.
 --Roger Ebert, December, 1996