[CentOS] firefox: annoyance

Thu Sep 25 17:18:34 UTC 2014

Jake Shipton wrote:
> On 25/09/14 17:42, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

>>> li.nux.ro, that's Romania not Russia.
>>
>> Thanks, I sit (and type) corrected. There was something nagging at
>> me, saying Russia was wrong for Nux. However, I don't foresee
>> aforesaid manager being happy with an eastern European individual's
>> repo.
>>
>> *sigh*
>>
>> But - could someone correct me if I'm wrong - isn't "extras" for
>> things like this?
>
> Guess it's the old "if it ain't American, it ain't right" attitude? :-).

Don't be absurd. How 'bout "can we be sure that no one's inserted nasties
into the code?" How 'bout "who else has looked at and compared the code to
the project source?"

*I* would trust Nux... but a) I can't speak or set policy for my
organization[1][2], and b) I wouldn't feel comfortable committing my
organization to use it, and urging it on my users of my division, and then
someone hacks his repo.

As an admin I used to work with liked to say, he was paid to be
professionally paranoid.

> A suggestion for your picky boss: Custom repository.

We have our own repo. However, there's *2.x* of us (my manager's working
with another Institute too much of the time these days), and we do NOT
want to have to maintain packages (don't even *ask* me about my packaging
of BioPerl). We want to yum update from trusted repos....
<snip>
> This way each machine has the repository, and can install the extra
> packages.

*snicker* Each machine. Right, I'm going to put a repo on ever single
server and workstation... and then maintain it. When nobody actually works
on their workstation, the work is supposed to be done on servers, with
home directories NFS mounted....

You're joking, right?
<snip>

         mark