[CentOS] CentOS 7, xfs

Thu Sep 25 19:52:02 UTC 2014
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 9/25/2014 12:41 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I do have a question for the group mind, though: mounting these monstrous
> partitions... should I, or, in fact, do I*need*  to give, as a mount
> option inode64? There will be a*lot*  of files on this sucker.... What are
> the pros and cons of that?

yes, you need inode64, as without it, it will be unable to create
directories after the first 2TB(?) fills up.

the only negative impact I've found for inode64 is, if this volume is
used as an NFS server, and you share directories deeper than the root of
the file system, NFS can't handle 64 bit id numbers, and defaults to
using the inode # of the directory as the filesystem ID.

solution 1)  only share the file system base

solution 2)  create ALL the directories that will be NFS shared BEFORE
you fill up the volume, then the exported inode numbers will be quite low.

solution 3) specify a fsid with a unique integer for each export. these
integers only need to be unique within the volume,  I just use 1, 2,
3... for the shares.   example /etc/exports ...

|/mnt/music 192.168.1.0/24(rw,...,fsid=1)|