[CentOS] CentOS 7, xfs

Thu Sep 25 21:25:06 UTC 2014
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

On 2014-09-25, Steve Thompson <smt at vgersoft.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2014, John R Pierce wrote:
>
>> yes, you need inode64, as without it, it will be unable to create directories
>> after the first 2TB(?) fills up.

Close, it's 1TB.  But you won't be able to create *any* new inodes,
directories or files.

http://www.xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_is_the_inode64_mount_option_for.3F

The FAQ suggests using inode64 for any filesystem larger than 1TB.  You
can probably get away with not using it for larger filesystems unless
you're planning on having half of your filesystem be inodes.  But 66TB
practically requires inode64; it'd be insane not to use it.

> I have recently found that with XFS and inode64, certain applications
> won't work properly when the file system is exported w/NFS4 to a 32-bit
> system, such as firefox and gnome.

Are you exporting the root of the filesystem or using a nondefault fsid
type?

http://www.xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_Why_doesn.27t_NFS-exporting_subdirectories_of_inode64-mounted_filesystem_work.3F

I think that if you're exporting a 66TB filesystem, and exporting to a
32bit client doesn't work, then you have to bite the bullet and not
allow the 32bit client, or do something like create a smaller filesystem
to export for 32bit clients.  You really can't have such a large
filesystem and not use inode64.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us