[CentOS] firefox: annoyance

Fri Sep 26 18:46:23 UTC 2014

On Fri, September 26, 2014 1:27 pm, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 9:08 AM, Valeri Galtsev
> <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>
>> No, it is not because of that. At least in my case. I started looking
>> for
>> decent open source browser that to an extent possible follows the rule
>> "don't change anything unless it is absolutely necessary" as far as the
>> way of user interaction goes some 5 or so years ago. Not only changes
>> that
>> brake all former logic (I'm talking about Firefox here), but also stupid
>> rushing of new hardly ever tested "releases",... So, you are happy with
>> it; it's your way of life, silly or not is seems to me. The same as my
>> feelings about "enterprise attitude" any sort of software, silly or not
>> my
>> feelings seem to you.
>
> The problem is that the "don't change anything" rule can't start until
> you get it right the first time, and browsers in general are still
> working on that - along with the standards committees. If you are
> using CentOS7 you have the option of adding google chrome which
> probably is even worse for the rate of change but at least it is
> closely in tune with google sites and across various devices.

I did mention open source browsers, which google chrome was not last time
I checked. Not to mention I do dislike googe's privacy policies, so I'm
myself staying away (wherever I can) from anything even just derived from
google's code. Even less I'm inclined to push this onto my users. I can
not interfere with them when they are dying to have google chrome on their
machines, but that is different.

Thanks for adding a candidate  to my list of potential replacements for
firefox (which didn't make it to my list, still thanks for the effort!).

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago