[CentOS] Apache wakes-up inactive Exim

Mon Sep 29 02:01:33 UTC 2014
John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com>

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 02:52:45AM +0100, Always Learning wrote:

> Sendmail is not present on the server. Exim is the only MTA. Exim awoke,
> forwarded the email then became inactive (not running) again.

He didn't say sendmail the package was present; he said sendmail the
command.

rpm -qvl exim | grep sendmail

Those targets are used by the alternatives system and provide backwards
compatibility with the _industry standard_ of /usr/sbin/sendmail and
/usr/lib/sendmail, which are expected interfaces.

> I was curious how a non-running Exim can be run, solely to forward mail,
> then returned to its inactive state. I assume some system software
> identified the PHP outgoing email, and launched the only MTA installed
> (Exim) just to handle the outgoing email.

exim sends mail by default; nothing needs to be running to do so.

							John
--
One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual
responsibility is the difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems

-- P. J. O'Rourke (14 November 1947-), American political satirist,
   Rolling Stone, 30 November 1989