[CentOS] "power outage"-save / like embedded systems

Tue Sep 30 18:52:29 UTC 2014

On Tue, September 30, 2014 1:23 pm, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 9/30/2014 11:06 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> Is there anything similar to apcupsd for that (preferably open source)?
>> (I
>> do remember ferrups...
>
> they have a whole GUI power management package that runs on linux but I
> tend to use the more basic shell-only stuff.  most of the Eatons I've
> used have had ethernet, they have a web interface on the UPS to
> configure, you can list dozens of systems the UPS can lob status updates
> at, and use it with nut [Network UPS Tools, available from epel] or
> whatever...   nut works with serial port and UPS based UPS's too.

I was thinking more in line of what apcupsd does: it runs as a daemon,
talks to UPS (and puts wall message about events like power loss...), and
executes command to cleanly shut down the box if less than (whatever % of
battery juice you configured to start clean shutdown at), and will issue
command to cancel shutdown if power returned after shutdown started
(sometimes you can do it...). And I usually don't need to do any
configuration (using GUI or command line utility) of the UPS itself... so
after initial configuration of apcupsd I never get back to it. And, BTW,
if you have half of a rack behind one UPS, you can set apcupsd on one
machine to talk to UPS, and on other machines set apcupsd to talk to
apcupsd on "master" machine making all of them aware, and act as
necessary.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator