[CentOS] UPS question

Tue Sep 30 19:07:40 UTC 2014

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 9/30/2014 11:42 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Damn, hit <send>, and forgot to ask: feel free to answer offlist, but
>> what make and model are the 7KVAs, and what ballpark price were they?
We need
>> two of something like that (at least 6KVA) for the SGI supercomputer....
>
> they are HP R7000, made by Eaton.   4U 7KVA rackmount.   they need 208
> 40A(?) service.  ethernet interface is standard.   They support up to 4
> extended runtime modules (4U each).   at 80% usage, HP claims 6 minutes
> with the base unit and 57 minutes with 4 ERM's (3U each).

Thanks, muchly. I keep hoping to be closer to $3k than $5k (we're a US
federal agency, non-DoD, and our budget has been negative for years...).

> These things are 165 lbs, they were a gut buster to load into the racks,
> heh.  after the 1st one, I removed the batteries from the other 3, and
> it was way easier.   They use 18 12V 45W UPS batteries, in two packs of
> 9 each.

I take the sled out when I mount a SmartUPS 3000 - that's about 43lbs of
batteries, and about the same of the unit. For what you've got... I go
over to the data center and borrow The Answer: a Blue Genie
<http://vistamation.com/products/lifts/hand-winch-lift-trucks/> Let me
tell you, you need to rack or unrack a blade enclosure, or a RAID box....

       mark