[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] Release for CentOS Linux 7 (1503 ) on x86_64

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Wed Apr 1 02:49:28 UTC 2015

On 03/31/2015 04:24 PM, Alain Péan wrote:
> Le 31/03/2015 20:30, Johnny Hughes a écrit :
>>> I would have assumed that this release would be "7.1.1503", and the URL

>> >Please take a look at the "Archived Versions", and the Release
>> Announcement:
>> >
>> >They both tell you that 7 (1503) is derived from Red Hat Enterprise
>> >Linux 7.1 Sources.  So, yes, this release, that you quoted in the
>> >Subject, is indeed exactly what you said.
>
> It seems that also the redhat-release file has changed.Previously, it was :
> [root at centos7 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS Linux release 7.0.1406 (Core)
>
> Now it is :
> [root at centos-test ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
> Derived from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.1 (Source)
>
> It is also my opinion that the name CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1503.iso is
> rather confusing, it is not immediately evident that it is release 7.1.
> I would have prefered the name CentOS-7.1-1503-x86_64-DVD.iso, following
> the previous name convention.

Well, we are now using a new naming convention .. although, we have
update /etc/cetnos-release/

This naming convention was voted on by the CentOS Board and discussed on
the CentOS-Devel mailing list.  It is what we are using moving forward.
 Please become familiar with it,as we do not expect to change it again.