[CentOS] LDAP TLS error -8023

Paul R. Ganci

ganci at nurdog.com
Wed Apr 1 03:16:25 UTC 2015

On 03/30/2015 07:28 PM, Paul R. Ganci wrote:
> Can somebody tell me what this error means (server, domain etc.
> changed to protect the innocent)?
>
> ldapsearch -H ldap://ldapserv-1.example.com:389 -ZZ -W -D
> cn=Boss,dc=example,dc=com -b dc=example,dc=com uid=testuser homeDirectory
> ldap_start_tls: Connect error (-11)
>     additional info: TLS error -8023:A PKCS #11 module returned
> CKR_DEVICE_ERROR, indicating that a problem has occurred with the
> token or slot.
It turns out the release of 7.1 was most propitious. I updated and
instead of getting the error above I received a different error:

TLS error -8182: Peer's certificate has an invalid signature

That was a much more useful error message in that at least I knew what
the complaint was about. It turns out I was using an incorrect key. I
fixed that and the problem went away. So glad I went ahead with the
update or I would still be wondering what was wrong.

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)
(303)257-5208