[CentOS] How to decrypt rootpassword form kickstart file

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 1 16:26:51 UTC 2015

On Wed, April 1, 2015 11:09 am, Andrew Holway wrote:

>> This is all interesting, but I've got one dumb question: why do you need
>> to decrypt it?
>>

> In the UK we have a law which give you the right to remain silent; so as
> not to incriminate yourself. I think in the US its known as "taking the
> fifth".

Indeed.

But I for one can deduce the answer, assuming the OP knows everything I
know or more (sorry for abbr.; Original Poster I had to say). Here is my
speculation:

One can easily replace root password hash in kickstart. The only scenarios
that that is not enough I can imagine are:

1. OP has to deal with machine kickstarted before and had no ability (or
wants to avoid it to leave no track that that is done) to boot the machine
in a single user mode and edit shadow file

2. OP was able to get kickstart file content (the hash actually), _has_ to
use it, but is not able to edit it (or editing is not an option due to
some other consideration)

3. This is somebody's else kickstart password, but I do exclude
immediately it as as a result one can imagine a [cyber]criminal action
here which I don't expect from anyone ;-)

That said, I just have to mention it once again. It is really advisable to
always change root password that came from kickstart file before even new
system goes live.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator