[CentOS] os-release file doesn't match upstream?

Phelps, Matthew mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 1 19:16:03 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org> wrote:

> On a fully patched C7 machine...
>
>   % cat /etc/redhat-release
>   CentOS Linux release 7.1.1503 (Core)
>
>   % cat /etc/os-release
>   NAME="CentOS Linux"
>   VERSION="7 (Core)"
>   ID="centos"
>   ID_LIKE="rhel fedora"
>   VERSION_ID="7"
>   PRETTY_NAME="CentOS Linux 7 (Core)"
>   ANSI_COLOR="0;31"
>   CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:centos:centos:7"
>   HOME_URL="https://www.centos.org/"
>   BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.centos.org/"
>
>   CENTOS_MANTISBT_PROJECT="CentOS-7"
>   CENTOS_MANTISBT_PROJECT_VERSION="7"
>   REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="centos"
>   REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION="7"
>
> In particular note the version ID is 7
>
> On a RedHat machine:
>   % cat /etc/redhat-release
>   Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.1 (Maipo)
>
>   % cat /etc/os-release
>   NAME="Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server"
>   VERSION="7.1 (Maipo)"
>   ID="rhel"
>   ID_LIKE="fedora"
>   VERSION_ID="7.1"
>   PRETTY_NAME="Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7.1 (Maipo)"
>   ANSI_COLOR="0;31"
>   CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:redhat:enterprise_linux:7.1:GA:server"
>   HOME_URL="https://www.redhat.com/"
>   BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugzilla.redhat.com/"
>
>   REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT="Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7"
>   REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT_VERSION=7.1
>   REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="Red Hat Enterprise Linux"
>   REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION="7.1"
>
> Here the version ID is 7.1; different to CentOS.
>
> Is this a bug or is it deliberate?
>
> --
>
> rgds
> Stephen

It's deliberate.

Apparently the CentOS board went ahead and made major changes, different
from RedHat, to the release names for CentOS 7 based on a thread in
centos-devel.

I find no solicitations for feedback on this list, or the centos-announce
list. (If I've missed one, let me know!)

It's a decision I disagree with vehemently, and would have happily made my
objections known had I heard. As a "customer" of CentOS, I do not
participate in the centos-devel list. Obviously considering the messages
cropping up on this list today, I am not alone.

--
Matt Phelps
System Administrator, Computation Facility