[CentOS] Kernel panic, CentOS 7.1503 fully updated, with executing gkrellm.

Lamar Owen

lowen at pari.edu
Thu Apr 2 05:04:01 UTC 2015

Just a heads up, since I know gkrellm is in EPEL and not in the main
CentOS repos.  However, something fairly fundamental has changed, as
prior to updating, gkrellm worked fine, but now every time I execute
gkrellm the kernel panics.

I'm going to triage on a different machine, as the panic corrupted at
least one system library used by nautilus, but rpm -Va is your friend in
these situations, and yum reinstall is its close kin.  So I would prefer
to duplicate on a burner machine, and I'll try to get a snapshot of the
panic.

If anyone else wants to try to reproduce, simply try installing the
current gkrellm from EPEL on a fully updated CentOS 7 machine and see if
it panics on you.  I kindof hope it's local to my machine and its
configuration (/home is LUKS, for instance), and it would be great if
someone could verify that.