[CentOS] OT: Recommended anti-virus for Windows

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Apr 3 13:29:28 UTC 2015

On Thu, April 2, 2015 17:11, J Martin Rushton wrote:

> Sorry to mention the "opposition" here, but I have a family member's
> laptop to protect, and I'm not allowed to upgrade it to Linux.  What's
> the current best recommendation?
> Thanks,

We (Harte & Lyne Limited) formerly used F-Prot out of Iceland for the
remaining MS based desktops.  We are presently switching to ClamAV for
Windows (http://www.clamav.net/download.html).

Norton is better than nothing;  but nowhere near adequate.  The rest
of the AV field I have no basis for evaluating.

MicroSoft's SE has sort of dropped out of the AV race. See:

http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus

Canada  L8E 3C3