[CentOS] The future of centos

Always Learning centos at u64.u22.net
Sat Apr 4 01:25:51 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-04-03 at 20:01 -0500, Francis Gerund wrote:

> Here it is, in their own words:  what Redhat thinks of Centos, and it's
> plans for the future of Centos.
>
> community.redhat.com/centos-faq

It is what many of us feared.

I never noticed any of the Centos bosses stating they are on a Centos
board dominated by Red Hat employees.

It is a de facto take-over of Centos by Red Hat. Centos Independence has
been "sold" to Red Hat by the supposed guardians of Centos.

	"The role of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Developer Program is to
provide participants with the tools and resources they need to develop
on and for deployment on Red Hat Enterprise Linux; CentOS does not fit
into this. .........

	".... developing on CentOS does not guarantee that the resulting
application will work on Red Hat Enterprise Linux."

So I was 100% correct when I wrote earlier

	"Am I mistaken in thinking, after reading recent postings, Centos is
slowly moving in a different direction to RHEL and the removal of useful
and informative sub-version numbers is merely the first of many
manifestations of the growing-gap, or eventual gulf, between "upstream"
and Centos ?"

	"Will Centos versions eventually become incompatible, partially or
wholly, with its parent's RHEL versions ?  I can understand why that
would be commercially advantageous to RH."

This Centos mailing list, just like the Centos name and logo is the
corporate property of Red Hat Inc.  How much did Red Hat pay the
guardians of the Centos brand to sell-out the whole of Centos to RH ?

I do not know how this previously unpublished commercial take-over of
Centos will affect the running of our systems. Hopefully things will
continue smoothly for everyone's benefit. Perhaps a Fork will emerge.

I wonder why this take-over was continually denied by Centos bosses at
the beginning.

Probably to prevent effective forks, Red Hat will deliberately make it
more difficult for the community to compile their sources and produce a
workable distribution closely resembling RHEL. One thing is for sure,
all the advantages of Centos development will enrich RH whilst Centos
will lack all the advantages of RHEL.

That is commercial business folks !

--
Regards,