[CentOS] The future of centos

Bill Maltby (C4B) centos4bill at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 16:57:41 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-04-04 at 11:12 +0100, Nux! wrote:
> 100% with Digimer here.
> <snip>

> All this energy should be put into contributing towards to the project, testing, helping out community.

Well, I used to agree. But when a bug report filed in December goes
untouched entering April, which I don't recall happening prior to RH
subsuming the project, it takes away impetus to ever file one again from
lowly end users like me I think.

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=7972

Crashes related to 6.6 update involving the way init is done and X is
done seem, at least to me, serious enough to have warranted a look-see,
at least, if there is still real concern for the (desktop?) community.

Since I don't feel it's my place to tell others how to behave, this
(lack of) response has me now looking for alternatives that are (maybe?)
more reliable and responsive. Since I've transitioned to a user that
just wants a reliable tool now, the 6.6 upgrade soured me big-time. Then
having the bug report serve only to grow mold, rather than getting the
(apparent) conflict twixt init, X, the (new?) init processes ... looked
at is sealing my decision to find a more reliable desktop distribution.

Been UNIX (programming and user) since 1978, Linux since some early
Slackware distributions, CentOS since 4.x. Will now be looking for
something staying truer to the original UNIX concepts but full-featured
and stable - may not be available, but I've got to at least look. You
know, something that doesn't bomb on a point release update because
(inadequately tested/previewed and unnecessary/useless?) changes were
thrown in. Add in the extra instance of Firefox that hogs a 6-core AMD
processor (patch provided to the list earlier), stuff X-related running
and trying to contact the free desktop org folks w/o any notification
(shades of MS!), ... I can't speak for others, but changing much of
anything in the init processes and having extra instances of application
software started and running without user being ware (when these weren't
so common in the past?) seems significant and my thinking would be to
save those for better testing, possible RFCs, and major releases.

But I'm not a developer any more and don't expect the rigor I used to
apply still works in today's world.

> Lucian
> <snip>

MHO, in (partial) ignorance,