[CentOS] install problem

Chuck Campbell

campbell at accelinc.com
Thu Apr 9 00:50:20 UTC 2015

I shot myself in the foot today. I had a centos 5.11 install running fine. Doing
a backup, I overwrote the /bin directory by mistake.

I couldn't get my machine to recognize a centos 6.5 or 6.6 install dvd, so I put
in the original centos 5.10 install disc and re-installed. No problem. During
the text installer, I told it to install grub on /dev/sdc1, which is /boot. My
raid arrays with lots of data (still intact) are /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, so I
didn't want it to install grub on the MBR of /dev/sda.

When I power it on, the kernel selection comes up, I select the (only) kernel
and it says:
Booting 'Centos (2.6.18-371.el5)'

root (hd2,0)
filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type is 0x83
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-371.el5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet

Error 15: file not found

Press any key to continue

So it is finding the /boot/grub/grub.conf and reading it correctly.
/boot (/dev/sdc1) actually contains the vmlinux-2.6.18-371.el5 file as well as
all the other related files that belong there.

I installed onto the same hard disk that the last OS was on, reformatting the /,
/boot, /usr partitions and installing to them. /boot is /dev/sdc1 and / is on
/dev/sdc5. No errors or problems in the install.

should the root (hd2,0) line above actually read root (hd2,4) where the real /
partition is (/dev/sdc5)??

I booted linux rescue with the 5.10 install disk, and I see that the
/boot/grub/grub.conf file looks correct, and all the correct files are there in
/boot. I am confused and don't know what to do next.

thanks,
-chuck