[CentOS] CentOS 7.1 user login screen can't scroll up/down

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Apr 9 14:23:19 UTC 2015

Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2015-04-09, Ole Holm Nielsen
> <Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk> wrote:
>> After we upgraded our CentOS 7.0 desktops to CentOS 7.1, a critical
>> error in the graphical login screen has appeared on all 7.1 machines:
>>
>> We have 100+ users defined in /etc/passwd, and a list of names is
>> presented on the initial login screen.  However, it's impossible to
>> scroll up or down in this user list to select the desired user.  The
>> middle mouse button seems to be disabled, so scrolling has become
>> impossible!  One can use the left and right mouse buttons to select
>> one of the users in view, but no one else.
>>
>> This seems definitely to be a critical bug in CentOS 7.1.
<snip>
Isn't there a way to open a box for "other user"?

> 3. Disable the user list:
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Desktop_Migration_and_Administration_Guide/customizing-login-screen.html

This, in fact, *is* the correct answer. That it's enabled is bad.

1. Security. Having the username, which someone being nasty wants to
     break into, but doesn't know it, this is just that much easier.
2. You have over 100 users. That's annoying to scroll through. Certainly,
     each user *ought* to know their own username, and it's faster to
     type it in, than scroll down 5 or so names at a time through 100+.
3. See 1.

         mark