[CentOS] Independent dual monitors on CentOS 7

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Apr 14 20:17:26 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 01:08:56PM -0600, Devin Reade wrote:
> Does anyone have the magic incantation required to getting
> *independent* multi-monitors going under CentOS 7?   Ideally
> under xfce or trinity, but I'm interested about GNOME/KDE
> observations as well.
>
> I'm trying to move my main workstation from CentOS5 to CentOS7
> and while the spanned desktop works, not having independent
> monitors really cuts into my productivity.  i.e.:  I couldn't
> care less about dragging things from one screen to another, but
> not having a 3x3 virtual desktop grid on each monitor independently
> really sucks.
>
> Devin

Devin:

i've done it on Fedora 20, don't know if that's similar enough to C7
or not, to work the same way, Uinsg Nvidia proprietary driver.

A couple of caveatrs:
1. I don't remember the details, but if you're interested, I can dig
for whatever info I used when figurinig it out;
2. I got two "independent" monitors, but that means you can't drag things
across monitors. but there also are no menus in the panels of the second
monitor, and no desktop icons, by default, so it's hard to start programs
on the 2nd monitor. I recall finding an XML file (somewhere???) that
contains what appears to be the setup info for the main monitor, so it
may be possible to either hack that file, or create some other file
with similar info in it, that will cause the second monitor to be a
full-fledged workstation in its own right.

YMMV!

Let me know if you need me to dig around for info.

Fred
--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?