[CentOS] Related to the new laptop question: CentOS on a netbook?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Apr 15 20:28:56 UTC 2015

On 4/15/2015 12:55 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I've got a netbook, circe 2009. When I got it, not that I was wild about
> ubuntu, but there was specifically an ubuntu netbook remix. Well, it's a
> few years later - has anyone put CentOS (6, preferably) on a netbook, and
> were there any problems?

'netbook' is a mostly obsolete category, they were just low power
1st/2nd generation Atom 10" notebooks with 1024x600 screens and 1-2GB
max ram, painfully slow.    They've been largely superseded by the
Ultrabook category of 13" ultra-slim ultra-light notebooks.

I'd expect the only major compatibility issue with any of these would be
the wifi adapter.   Most of these small format consumer machines don't
even have an ethernet port.   Otherwise, they are pretty much bog stock
Intel based architecture machines, using Intel integral graphics on the
newer Core i3 Mobile processors.