[CentOS] Laptop with CentOS only & support

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Apr 16 18:39:46 UTC 2015

ken wrote:

> Looking for my next linux laptop too, I'm loving this thread.
>
> A tangential yet very much related question:
>
> In the past when I've purchased a computer and put linux on it, I always
> had to keep Windows on it (dual-boot) in case there was a probable
> hardware problem and I had to walk through the tech supporter's manual
> with her doing Windows things to make the determination.  So if I get a
> laptop from dell and it has linux only installed on it by them, can I
> still get tech support from dell for their hardware?  Has anyone been
> down this road yet?

If you do, as I said, get an "business" laptop, not the consumer grade.
And even then... if you need support, you'll have to get them to route you
to "enterprise support", since the laptop/desktop support still don't know
Linux. On the other hand, if you do talk to them, you could always point
out that the OMSA disc boots CentOS....

       mark