[CentOS] Centos 5 & tls v1.2, v1.1

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Fri Apr 17 11:40:46 UTC 2015

On 04/17/2015 11:20 PM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> Yep, maybe using ssl offloading devices like (BigIP) that receives tls1.2
> and tlsv1.2 and then re-encrypts traffic with tls1.0 might be "cheapest"
> solution.

Perhaps re-evaluate the need to have TLS 1.1 and 1.2 right now.  The
only attack against 1.0 that I'm aware of is BEAST and that has been
largely mitigated by browser-side fixes to the point where TLS 1.0 is
now considered to be safe.  No doubt there will in time be other attacks
that necessitate an upgrade, but for now I would just stick with the
version of openssl and apache that comes with CentOS 5 and focus on
moving to CentOS 6 or 7 as a medium (not long) term goal.  At the end of
the day I think it's better to just go this route than have to deal with
the hacky solutions for getting 1.1 and 1.2 out of CentOS 5.

Peter