[CentOS] Plurals in English (was Re: ClamAV reports a trojan)

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 17 15:04:36 UTC 2015

On Fri, April 17, 2015 9:51 am, Always Learning wrote:

> On Fri, 2015-04-17 at 08:00 -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>
>> It is amazing how much one can cripple what another person said by
>> scissoring his phrases ;-)
>
> English people (excludes USA people)

The first thing I learned what US people (before became one myself) take
English pronunciation for was... Well, I asked US person at the
conference: does he know this person (and gave the name of English
person). The answer was:

"that guy with accent"

Isn't it funny to call correct English pronunciation an accent? ;-)
(adding "lough track" so who don't feel it's funny still can lough here
taking it as a joke ;-)

Valeri

> should always try to speak simple,
> jargon-free, easily understandable and logically expressed English
> especially when conversing with non-English people.
>
> I greatly admire the linguistic abilities of non-English people but
> deplore the dumbed-down abuses of my native language from the US of A.
>
> A military plan has become a "road map" even when aircraft are involved
> provoking the inevitable question of "Do aircraft stop at traffic
> lights" !
>
> "Back-up" has become either reverse, a saved copy, re-enforcements etc.
> Precision in language expression is essential for good understanding.
>
> Comments off-list please.
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Paul.